This category doesn’t really need an introduction, does it? We do have two new entries here. So let’s take a look at BEST SPECIAL EFFECTS. We have some great contenders here… including Lady Gaga of course.
- I’ve never heard of Dan Black, but this “Symphonies” video is amazing. It’s so colorful, and fun. In case you haven’t gathered, its theme is basically the opening animations to some of the most popular or memorable movies. Even with a movie guru like myself, there are some I haven’t recognized, but I feel rewarded with the ones I do. And I am a sucker for this kinda stuff anyway. I am torn between this video and Green Day.
- Eminem is back and is still “Not Afraid.” When I first saw this video, for some reason I had only seen half of it. The big SFX don’t really kick in until the end of the video. They are indeed impressive and I have no problem with this video being in this category, I just don’t think it will hold up well with its competitors due to how much SFX were used and how it was used. Don’t get me wrong, they work great in this video and isn’t overused or gaudy, I just think some other videos have a better chance.
- This is what I don’t understand… how is this the only category Green Day is nominated for? Had this been in the Best Rock Video category, easy win… or at least for me it would be. But I don’t wanna go on a rant about that right now. The special effects used in “21st Century Breakdown” are nothing less than awesome. Not only did it capture my attention, it was thoroughly entertaining and kept moving. I think that statement is a bit of an understatement… but seeing the video, you understand. What I really liked about it (and any other video that do this) is how this video is a callback to the album art. Look into it some time if you can. Their video “21 Guns” also does this too. Was that a video a year too late to be nominated? Just curious. However, since I have to make a single pick, I think I would choose this one, also because it was shamelessly left off the list for Rock Video. Plus it’s just an awesome video for an awesome song.
- Guess whose back! Lady Gaga’s “Bad Romance.” Yes, this video has everything, but I don’t want her to have this award either. Do I really need to explain the FX in this video and why I feel someone else should get it? I hope not, so that’s why I’m not going to.
- Rounding out this list is Muse’s “Uprising.” As I said before, I love the teddy bears attacking. As awesome as that is, I don’t think this will be the winner either.