Maybe because I’m writing this really late at night, but cinematography and art direction almost feel like the same thing. They aren’t though, and I know the difference. One of how artistic it looks, the other is how artistic it looks on screen. Again, my own made up definition and comparison. But it’s all about how well it looks on your TV or computer screen, the framing, the zooming, the panning, the lighting, the colors… all of it to enhance for your viewing pleasure. BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
- Eminem is back again, and I’ll be honest… I’m not too sure why. As good as this video is, I wonder what small batch of videos they are choosing from. I don’t want to go naming off videos that aren’t nominated at all, but I’ve seen some other videos that came out this year that’d be perfect for this category and several others. But perhaps it’s the popularity. I’m not saying the cinematography is poor, I just don’t think it’s the best or in the top five, in my opinion.
- For me, “Dog Days Are Over” is stronger in the Art Direction category than in this one. Like the “Not Afraid” video, it is good and very well shot, but I don’t think it’s the best. The people who can vote for this may feel otherwise, but who knows with Gaga in the running… I feel like they are going down the test and picking C for every answer. I jest.
- I’m still a bigger fan of Jay-Z’s “On To The Next One”… but that wasn’t nominated. “Empire State of Mind” is and I think this is a good example of well used cinematography. Do I have a bias because I like NYC? A little, yes. But they are beautiful shots, no? And that’s what I would be looking for if I were to pick the best.
- I don’t want it to sound as if I hate “Bad Romance” or Lady Gaga, because I don’t. I really love this video and I think she’s a great artist. I just think some recognition should go around the table. But if she wins every award she’s nominated for, I wouldn’t be surprised. It’s an awesome video and it has everything. I won’t even argue about the cinematography because even that’s on point.
- I have nothing against Mumford and Sons… I just never heard of them and I’m not too fond of this song. It is nice to see someone different though. Sadly, I don’t think they will take home this prize. This video is beautifully shot, I will admit that.
Leave a Reply