This is a category that I have no bias in whatsoever. The bands nominated I do not follow, and have only recently heard these songs for the first time. Although it is possible I have heard some of these artists’ other songs, I wouldn’t know who they were unless someone told me. I don’t mean to be ignorant of them, it’s just my musical ventures haven’t made their way to hear them yet. However, I’m not completely ignorant to who they all are. A few of them I have heard of and know some of them are popular either by performances on live TV or maybe Twitter trends. But let’s talk about them who I might think may win the BEST ROCK VIDEO. In my opinion, some of the rock artists I do know have shamelessly been left out… but we won’t talk about that here.
- I’ve heard of 30 Seconds to Mars, but I couldn’t tell you any of their songs. This is a nice video of the bike riding all throughout the city. The song isn’t too bad either. I don’t have a lot to say about this one other than I love the sunset and night cityscape backdrops. It gives this video a really warm feeling to it, which it’s supposed to do to enhance the song.
- Florence + the Machine I have never heard of. But I managed to tune in a few times to some of the other MTV channels and I kept seeing this video being played. I will say that this song is catchy, to me at least, if not first sounding weird. Weird in a good way, like a different sound. I wouldn’t associate this song with rock, but maybe their other stuff is more rock-sounding. Actually, that’s getting into something I know a lot of people will start to complain about so never mind. As for the video, definitely rates high on the artistic meter. What it’s saying to me, I haven’t a clue. But it’s visually stimulating because I can’t quite look away from it. Because it’s so weird, it might have a chance at winning. Due to not knowing any of these songs and basing it on looks and sounds of video alone, my vote goes to this “Dog Days Are Over.”
- I literally just saw this video by MGMT, another band I’ve heard a lot about but haven’t heard their music. The song is not quite something I’m used to, and the video is even crazier. I wasn’t sure where it was going or what was going on, but madness ensued and I think I was a little scared. But it’s original as far as I’m concerned because I don’t think I’ve seen anything like it. I don’t think I want to again, which might mean I’m not quite a fan, but I would pass on voting for this.
- I heard of Muse last year, I forget where. Once again, not familiar with their music but I think they are fairly popular. I liked this video and the giant teddy bears attacking. I thought it was cute. It’s also pretty memorable which might win them this award. I really can’t make up my mind who would get it though.
- Here we have a band I’ve also heard about, first through Twitter, called Paramore. I don’t know a lot about them, and the video isn’t much to be impressed with. Okay, I think it looks cool to be singing into a light bulb, but if this were to win, I think it would be due to their popularity… and they have a big fan base. I think that they do, but again, I don’t know this band or any that I listed.
Leave a Reply