Credit is given where credit is due. BEST ART DIRECTION might be one of those categories I like because it’s actually looking at the artistic integrity of the video. Not that the other categories aren’t looking for the arty videos, but this recognizes those that are in charge for making it look as good as it does. More than likely, we can probably guess who may win, but it’ll be surprising if any of these pull an upset. And in my opinion, this is stiff competition.
- 30 Seconds to Mars’ “Kings and Queens” uses lots of slow motion shots and some great colors and cinematography to make a very soothing looking video. I almost want to call it warm and fluffy. I just also liked all those bikers riding all over the city. I love the night theme. For fun, and for the minimalist value, I’d like to see this one win. Plus, this was going more for the short film approach. I included the long version video below.
- Once again, “Video Phone” by Beyonce and Gaga. I keep forgetting to mention how the opening shot of this video and Gaga’s “Telephone” video are straight up Tarantino. Just a thought. Anyway, although I’m not crazy about this video like I stated before, it’s one that holds your attention with the transitions and special effects. I’m not really sure what category I’m talking about for this anymore, but I won’t deny that art is definitely involved here.
- I like Eminem’s video, but I honestly don’t feel this is the biggest contender here in this category. Don’t get me wrong, it’s artistic in its own way, but this feels more like a filler choice… meaning I don’t think it has a good chance of winning this one.
- I personally feel “Dog Days Are Over” has a strong chance at winning this award. I could be wrong and if they gave runner up awards, this might get it… but they don’t. And if this multiple nod video had a chance at winning, I’d give it to them in this category.
- Lastly, Lady Gaga is bringing up the rear and probably taking home this trophy too. We all know the video is artistic among many, many other things. But I say we give this award to someone else. As awesome as it would be for Gaga to sweep the show away (which I strongly think she just might), it’d be nice to see the love spread around.