I wasn’t exactly sure how I was going to go forward with these posts and talk about each video, or if I’d even post each video. As a blogger, it would show how dedicated I am to the craft… but c’mon, you can all access YouTube and find these videos I’m speaking of. Most of them are on MTV’s website and I’ll post a link to the category. So will I predict the winner or who I want to win? Well, a little bit of both. Don’t make any bets on my call. Remember what Kanye said, it’s all a popularity contest anyway.
With that out of the way, we have our first category: BEST NEW ARTIST
- The video I like the most out of the five happen to be Broken Bells “The Ghost Inside”. Why? It tells a good, yet sad, story. Now this is a new artist, I have no clue who this artist is, but that’s just fine with me. I hope they win because this song fits the mood of this video very well. To be honest, it reminds me a lot of Daft Punk’s Interstella movie.
- Do I have anything against the other nods? Sorta, yes. I don’t care much for the Ke$ha persona. Some people love it, and I’ll admit it’s a catchy song. But I really don’t like feeling dirty after watching this video.
- Jason Derulo I don’t have a serious quarrel with, other than he’s one of those artists I feel I’ve seen and/or heard before. He reminds me of a Chris Brown type of singer/dancer. Not bad, but not really new to me. And the video is nothing to be excited about, in my opinion.
- I’ve not a Justin Bieber fan, so I’ll leave it at that. For all I know, he could be the winner of this award since he has such a huge, HUGE fan base. With that said, I’d bet on him to win, but I’d rather see the my pick. I was avoiding watching the video, but it isn’t that bad. Not a song for me, but I can see the appeal. Props to Ludacris.
- Lastly is Nicki Minaj… I read that Kanye has said she will be the next big thing. I personally don’t see it, not from this song anyway. Or the video. It reminds me of Lil’ Kim… who hasn’t been around… so I guess it makes sense? I don’t know, I’m not really feeling her or the song. Maybe because she’s new and I haven’t heard anything else from her yet my feelings might change. But for now, I’ll pass.