First of all, congrats to all the Grammy Award winners. I’m happy some of the artists that I wanted to win had won. Unfortunately, we can’t win them all. And sadly, I never got around to making a “predictions chart” or anything like that so you could see who I wanted to win. But don’t worry; I’ll be doing that for the Oscars like I did last year.
- Let me give a huge congrats to Maxwell and his mighty comeback after 8 long years with a stellar album that won 2 Grammys. I personally think he should have won a couple more, but perhaps when I do my own award show I can have my say. Anyway, his wins were well deserved. (My other favorite, John Legend, was only nominated for one, but I would’ve liked to see a surprise there too.)
- Congrats to Green Day for Best Rock Album. I’ve heard some naysayers talking about them being sell-outs, possibly due to their Broadway show… or possibly because they’ve become household names. But isn’t that an artist’s dream? “Selling out” shouldn’t be such as negative as people make it seem to be. As long as you are doing what you want and people are giving you money to do it, go for it!
- Also congrats to Kings of Leon for their multiple wins for their song “Use Somebody” which I have written about recently (and not knowing it was nominated at the time either).
- While I’m not a big Beyonce fan, congrats for setting a Grammy record.
- Congrats to Jay-Z for snagging a few Grammys as well.
- And we can’t forget Lady Gaga. I would go as far as to say as I think she was robbed of the Album of the Year. But I guess this has been a Swift year even though I heard a strong blend of Black Eyed Peas and Gaga. But out of all the contenders, my vote would’ve gone with Gaga. But congrats nonetheless on the awards you did win.
The Grammys aren’t complete without discussing the actual performances. However, I really think that’s better literally spoken about than written. Besides, the interwebs are crawling with footage and backstage gossip that I wish I was involved in. But perhaps next year I’ll remember to record my witty “morning after” banter with a few friends. I also “live blogged” via Twitter, chatting with a few friends about the show… and also apologizing to everyone else who wasn’t watching that had to deal with my ramblings. Sadly, my Twitter and Facebook accounts weren’t properly synced, so my tweets arrived on Facebook hours after the fact, making it sound like I was watching and responding from the distant past. I ended up deleting most of those posts. So for the future (meaning the Oscars), just follow me on Twitter and we can watch the show together.
Speaking of the Oscars, my prediction chart is coming soon. I’m still trying to make sense of it all. I also feel I should watch a certain movie before I start giving my opinion. In the meantime, here are all the nominees. Place your bets…